Sunday, October 7, 2007

Lunenburg & Mahone Bay

Before putting the van up for sale and before starting school, Jeff and I went on our last road trip in the Oldsmobile mini van that was so reliable in delivering us to Halifax. Despite our soon-to-be status as full time pedestrians, Mahone Bay and Lunenburg have not seen the last of us!

These two south shore towns are not only among my favorite places in Nova Scotia but also, in all of Canada (next only to Regina and Charlottetown)! No family member or friend will visit us without receiving a tour of these special stops. In mid September Kathy and Steve came to visit, and of course, we made the necessary pilgrimage.

The area boasts stunning architecture, colorfully characteristic of Nova Scotia. Both Lunnenburg and Mahone Bay are Unesco World heritage sights. They were settled in the 1700s. Mahone Bay is famous for antiques and, as you will see in the pictures, we managed to take in a treasure-trove flea market when we took Kathy and Steve to visit. Lunnenburg is home of the Blue Nose II, among other worthy sights.

Not to attempt to displace our novice photography skills, but the pictures fail to do justice to the area simply because it is a 360 degree kind of experience which commands the attention of all your senses. In any case, Jeff rightly prefers we don’t rob you all of the surprises to be had upon your own visits.



























And just incase my glossy description has been too ‘over the top,’ I will close with a story which will, if you were anything like me, jerk you from your romantic images of the day into the flatulent reality of life. Just outside Mahone Bay on the way home from our 1st visit, Jeff’s face began to contort into the all-too-familiar I AM GOING TO SHIT MYSELF look. As always, I did my best to stifle my laugh (which I know only irks the very serious situation). To make a long story short, the magical day ended with Jeff taking a “line dump” on the side of the highway. I managed to snap a picture of him as he resurrected from the bush post-poop.

2 comments:

Lance and Debbie said...

It looks so nice in Halifax...and Thanksgiving supper looked like a lot of fun.

Lance and Debbie said...

Halifax looks so beautiful! And, warm. Wish we were there. Did I happen to mention how beautiful it looks. And, warm.

luv - m/d

note to self - always carry a roll of toilet paper